MPSL-MLML maintains a variety of resources to aid in field sampling, laboratory analysis, and data and QA management. Our staff is also equipped to support additional general services, including study design, data analysis, report writing, contract, and funding management. If you have a specific request not listed, please contact us to determine if we can meet your needs.
Field Sampling Resources - Provide the capacity to collect trace clean water, sediment, and tissue samples in fresh, estuarine, or salt water environments.
Photographs from some of our field surveys are provided to better present the wide range of sampling equipment and habitats in which MPSL-MLML is experienced.
- The creation and implementation of infrastructure, procedures, and logistical support to projects and field organizations
- Research vessels for shallow and deep water sampling
- 18 foot and 25 foot Boston Whalers equipped with davit, winch, and modified Van Veen grab for collection of nearshore and estuarine sediment samples
- Access to additional sampling vessels from 18 to 135 feet
- Wide range of capabilities for sampling fish and invertebrate tissue, sediment, and water in fresh, estuarine, or salt water environments. Soil samples have also been collected in wetlands.
- Water quality sensors and meters
- Sediment sampling grabs and coring devices
- Fish, invertebrate and plankton nets, traps and trawls
- California State University and Department of Fish and Game certified research divers
- Differential GPS and GIS capabilities for accurate location, representation, and analysis of data from sampling locations
- Trace metal and trace organic clean sampling and sample handling capabilities
Laboratory Resources - Provide the ability to handle and process samples in a non-contaminating environment.
- Trace clean HEPA filtered lab space
- HEPA-filtered, positive-pressure clean labs for sample processing, trace cleaning glassware, and equipment cleaning
- Trace clean sampling gear and handling supplies
- COC/COR procedures
- Sample processing and archive facilities
- -20° F sample storage freezer space
- Beckman J-6B Centrifuge for extraction of large volumes of interstitial water from sediments
- Taxonomists and ecologists experienced in evaluating benthic community samples